For our final project, my goal is to create a personal site to showcase my academic and professional experience to potential employers, who will be my main audience. I envision the site containing several sections: an about me page, a copy of my resume (in a format I can easily and frequently update), a section for work and writing samples, and one for contact and social media information. Overall, I would like the site to have a simple, clean-cut feel and be easy-to-navigate, particularly the section of my writing samples. I would also like to include a section for a small book review blog. I would like the blog, like the rest of the site, to be easy to navigate based on genres or authors.
In terms of custom features, one feature I would like to include is a rotating gallery on each page comprised of travel photos I’ve taken. Once I find a WordPress theme that would best help me get the clean, simple look I want, I will modify the CSS code to fit with that overall look.
- To create a functional and complete personal site to showcase my academic and professional experience.
- To effectively showcase my writing skills and previous work experience to potential employers.
- To create a simple, clean-cut, and easy-to-navigate site that is logically organized.
Audience: The site will be geared toward potential employers, and my blog will be geared toward fellow book-lovers, probably young millennials like me.
How I Will Achieve My Goal:
- Modify the theme to create a multi-section site with pages for an about me section, a copy of my resume, a page for work and writing samples, and a page for contact and social media information.
- Create a side-blog and include at least one blog post to start.
- Create a custom post-type for book reviews for the blog, as well as a metadata box for my current read.
- Find a way to have visitors interact with the blog, like maybe a “what should I read next?” survey visitors can vote on or a rating system.
Theme: I plan to use Twenty Seventeen.
- I would like to create a custom post type for book reviews on my small side blog which will include a field for number of pages, favorite quotes, and some type of rating system.
- I would also like to experiment with creating a custom metadata box that will allow me to update any post I make to my blog with what I am currently reading, i.e. a “currently reading” or “current book” field.
- I would like to see if I can figure out a way to have users interact with my blog by creating a survey where they can vote on the next book I’ll read and review.
- I would like to create a self-rotating gallery on my main page of photos I’ve taken.