What: I want to create an internationally respected musician’s hub that provides reliable information and reviews on instruments and other gear for beginners to professional performers.
Who: My audience would be musicians or aspiring musicians looking to purchase gear. It’s terribly easy to waste money on items that you either don’t need and waste time putting off things you do need. I’m hoping to have a few dedicated “contributors” which would serve as a middle ground between Reddit and Wikipedia where site visitors could get reliable information.
Why: I’ve spent a lot of money over the past 9 years since I started playing music. If I knew what to buy and what not to buy, I’d be alot better off. Similar to used cars, I think having a “go here, do this, don’t do that,” resource for newbies would result in fewer people purchasing lemons.
- I will include a search bar with PHP
- I will include a gallery at the top of the home page, and a different gallery on each page
- I’ll use CSS to style the pages
- I will have an embedded 16:9 format video playing at the bottom of each page demoing some instruments (depending on what page it is)
- ill create a search bar using PHP
- I’ll embed a Twitter feed
—- More specs below—
Above the fold front page automatic slider (4-5 images) of different types of gear (acoustic guitar, bass, microphone set-up, etc.)
Below the fold two column review section (featuring an image of one instrument and a user’s highly rated review of the instrument)
Top right “shopping cart” that would essentially be the “bookmarked instruments” personalized and accessible from your login)
- Acoustics(guitars, bass)
- Electrics(guitars, bass)
- Other instruments(ukulele, cello, viola, violin, etc. etc.)
- Vintage gear(includes every aforementioned category but only features higher quality and very expensive gear. Some will be repeat posts in this page)
- Price guide
The review section would include the MSRP and the average selling price online (Ebay, for instance) to give the user an idea of how much they should reasonably pay for said instrument
Each page would have an above the fold slider with 8-9 images of instruments that in a traditional cms would be easily refreshed with newer content throughout the month.
As for more details on features, I’d have changing text overlaying the images on the sliders, along with neat button navigation that starts from the beginning. I don’t believe we went over this in class, but I want to know how to create an easily accessible pop-up comment/Leave a message feature. (screenshot attached). It would give users the ability to leave a comment about something they want more information on, whether it’s an instrument we’ve featured or one that we haven’t.